Isle of Staffa

Inner Hebrides

Staffa, named ‘Stave’ or ‘Pillar Island’ by the Vikings, lying 6 miles (10 km) west of Mull, was formed volcanically at the same time as the Giant’s Causeway, cooling into mainly hexagonal black basalt columns. Cliffs rising to 131 feet (40 m) are riddled with caves, the most famous of which is Fingal’s Cave at Staffa’s southern tip, discovered by Sir Joseph Banks on 13th August 1772 en route to Iceland and named after legendary Irish hero, Finn MacCool.