Isle of Seil

Inner Hebrides

Located in the east of the Firth of Lorn, Seil is linked to the mainland by Thomas Telford’s ‘Bridge Over the Atlantic’ or Clachan Bridge, built in 1792-3. As one of the four Slate Islands, dubbed ‘the islands that roofed the world’, its quarries were worked for centuries, particularly around Ellanbeich or Easdale, where the 5 acre (2 ha) An Cala Garden lies on a slope to the east of the village.